I suppose you have noticed, when out shopping and parking your car, that it is often a bit of a squeeze to get between the lines? Much contortions required to get out of your car without having your door bang into the car next door? And, do you have a garage at home? What is in it? If it's anything like mine, it is a store room for everything and anything excpt the car! Simpy not big enough. Here's why:
The Development Control Advice Note 15, (1999) 2nd Edition Vehicular Access Standards by The Planning Service, UK government states that:
- The term ‘one space’ used in the standards refers to standing area only and the recommended minimum dimensions for a car space are 4.8 metres long by 2.4 metres wide.
Now compare that with some real measurements:
- A well known DIY superstore car parking space – 2.24 metres.
- A well known supermarket chain car parking space – 2.39 metres.
- A workplace car parking space – 2.34 metres.
- All below the minimum size.
Why not go and measure the car parking spaces near you?